The Inuzuka Clan (犬塚一族, Inuzuka Ichizoku) or Inuzuka Family (犬塚家, Inuzuka-ke) is a family of shinobi in Konohagakure known for their use of ninken as fighting companions and are easily identified by the distinctive red fang markings on their cheeks.
The members are given their own canine partner(s) when they reach a certain age. Thereafter, the shinobi and their dog(s) are practically inseparable. The shinobi and canine allies fight using Cooperation Ninjutsu, such as the Fang Passing Fang or Fang Rotating Fang techniques amongst others, that take advantage of their teamwork and their sharp claws and teeth. The clan members are also able to communicate with canines even if unlike Kuromaru, the dogs cannot talk. The members of this clan, much like their canine partners, have greatly enhanced senses, especially their sense of smell. By concentrating chakra to their noses, this sense is amplified to an even greater extent allowing the user to be able to detect, track and monitor targets from a fairly long distance away. The clan's fighting style primarily revolves around their enhanced speed, strength, and agility granted by the Four Legs Technique and other canine-based attacks, in conjunction with the tactical advantages granted by their heightened senses.
Akemaru is a ninken from Konohagakure's Inuzuka clan.
Other Notable Clan Members
- In the anime, an Inuzuka, with two scars, one on each cheek above his clan symbol, appeared alongside other shinobi from the Third Division.
- "Inuzuka" (犬塚) means "dog hill," and is a reference to the dog samurai Inuzuka from Kyokutei Bakin's Nansō Satomi Hakkenden.
- The red fang markings of the Inuzuka clan members' cheeks are a reference to the facial markings on San, a character from Hayao Miyazaki's, Princess Mononoke.
- The majority of the known Inuzuka members are named after a part of the body of a dog (fang, nose, and claw), while their dogs are all named after colors (red, grey and black).
- According to Kiba, his mother, Tsume, was responsible for scaring his father away. It is currently unknown what his father's involvement with the clan was.