|You may be looking for the eye that appears in Chapter 1. See this note.[note 1]|
The Jōgan (淨眼, lit. Pure Eye) is a mysterious dōjutsu that is implied to belong to the Ōtsutsuki Clan, and as been stated to be troublesome. Boruto Uzumaki has so far been the only wielder of the dōjutsu, having awakened it in his right eye.
When activated, Boruto's sclera turns dark and his iris turns light blue, while his pupil turns a visible lighter blue, and the eye appears to be shimmering.
Since awakening it while attending the Academy, Boruto does not appear to have the ability to activate it on command. The Jōgan will involuntarily activate when Boruto focuses his attention on a particular person or object, or seemingly when he senses the presence of a person or dimension. As a teenager, he displayed the ability to activate it at will.
- The name of the dōjutsu was first revealed by animator, Chengxi Huang, after the release of episode 15, in an effort to clear up confusion. He stated it was neither a Tenseigan or a Byakugan, but was officially called the "Jōgan" (净眼). He also stated that it's related to the Ōtsutsuki clan's dimension and is similar to Naruto's ability to sense negative emotions. However, he explained he hasn't read all the scripts and it was possible the author hadn't thought everything out yet, but assured that more information would come in the future.
- In Episode 125, Urashiki referred to the eye as the "Jōgan", albeit with different kanji (淨眼). This marks the first and only time it was referred to by name in the anime.
- Boruto: Naruto Next Generations, Episode 125
- Boruto: Naruto Next Generations, episode 65
- Boruto: Naruto Next Generations, Volume #1, Chapter #1
- Boruto: Naruto Next Generations, Episode 1
<ref> tags exist for a group named "note", but no corresponding
<references group="note"/> tag was found, or a closing
</ref> is missing