The Uzumaki clan (うずまき一族, Uzumaki Ichizoku) was a prominent clan in Uzushiogakure. They were distant blood relatives of the Senju clan and as such, both were on good terms; an alliance that extended onto their hidden villages — Konohagakure and Uzushiogakure. The shinobi of Konoha integrated Uzushiogakure's symbol onto their uniforms and flak jackets as well as on the shoulders of their uniforms as a sign of friendship and goodwill between the two villages, and continue to do so to this day, in memory of their friendship even years after Uzushiogakure's destruction. The remaining members of this clan currently reside in Uzushiogakure, and have influenced its restoration greatly.
Uzumaki naturally possess incredibly strong life-forces. As such, they have very long lifespans and likewise age slower; Mito Uzumaki was born before the founding of Konoha yet lived well into the reign of the Third Hokage while still retaining full-colouring in her hair. This also enables them to survive and endure much more severe injuries while likewise able to recover from injuries and exhaustion with much greater efficiency in short periods of time. These traits are strong enough to survive the removal of tailed beasts, although they are still left severely weakened afterwards.
Uzumaki also have the ability to quickly heal themselves and others, through consumption of their chakra. It is dangerous, however, to use this ability too regularly. Some members, like Karin, can display a unique sensory ability as well as the ability to suppress their chakra signature making them undetectable.
Some members, Kushina and — to a lesser extent — Karin, also possessed a unique form of chakra with special properties which made them especially well-suited to become jinchūriki as well as produce adamantine chains made from their own chakra. In addition to their life-forces, the Uzumaki were most famed for their fūinjutsu, the seal of which typically appears as a spiral crest reminiscent of their clan's symbol.
- The name "Uzumaki" can either mean "whirlpool" or "maelstrom".
- Red hair was a common trait amongst Uzumaki clan members.
- Tsunade and Nawaki are descendants of the Uzumaki clan through their grandmother.
- Due to Naruto Uzumaki's marriage to Hinata Hyūga, his direct descendants have the potential to awaken the Byakugan.
- The anime character Honoka is hinted to be an Uzumaki, as she has red hair and fūinjutsu talents. A book found by Aoba in the same episode mentions finding a survivor of a "certain clan of ninja".
- Menma Namikaze, another Genjutsu World counterpart of Naruto Uzumaki, is a descendant of the Uzumaki clan by his mother.