Water Release (水遁, Suiton, English TV: Water Style) is one of the basic elemental nature transformation techniques that allow the user to manipulate pre-existing water, or create their own, by turning their chakra into water. It takes much more ability to create the water outside the body than to manipulate what is already available or expel it from their mouths. One of the most versatile of the five basic chakra natures, Water Release techniques can not only change shape but state as well. Moreover, the water becomes more solid in the process as well. Certain techniques can even allow the user to increase the water's heaviness and viscosity, making it a suitable element to capture the targets. The water affinity is seemingly more common amongst shinobi of Kirigakure . Offensive water techniques seem to inflict harm from the sudden force that they exert, which would cause massive internal damage to a human.
Relationship with other Natures
Water is strong against fire because it naturally extinguishes the flames (though a sufficiently powerful fire technique can cause evaporation) but is weak against earth because earth structures can dissipate the force of water rendering the technique ineffective.
- Water Release can be used in conjuction with Lightning Release to increase the flow of electricity thus increasing damage taken by the target.
- Additionally, it can be used with Wind Release to increase the concussive and overall destructive power of a water technique.
- Water-natured chakra is a component of the following kekkei genkai: Ice Release, Wood Release, Storm Release, Boil Release and Mud Release.
- Water Release parallels the real-life ninja art "suiton-no-jutsu". One example of real-life suiton-no-jutsu is Ukigusa-gakure: the practice of throwing duckweed over water in order to conceal underwater movement.
- Tobirama Senju is considered to be the most powerful Water Release user to have ever existed because of his ability to create powerful water release techniques in areas where there was no source of water at all.
|Basic||Lightning Release • Fire Release • Water Release • Earth Release • Wind Release|
|Others||Yin Release • Yang Release|