Wind Release (風遁, Fūton, English TV: Wind Style) is one of the five basic elemental nature transformations. Most offensive Wind Release techniques are performed by making chakra as sharp and thin as possible, however, wind can also be generated as a large, concussive force to overwhelm a target. Wind-based techniques are mainly short to mid-ranged offensive techniques that combine brute force and keen precision to deal cutting and slashing damage. A rarity among the five chakra natures, wind techniques are usually performed by generating air circulation and can be enhanced through this method as well . Wind-natured chakra can also be channelled into blades to increase their cutting power and overall range. The wind affinity is seemingly more common amongst shinobi of Sunagakure. Wind Release also specialises in deflecting and even reflecting attacks. Wind Release focuses on projectile type techniques and can even change melee type techniques such as the Rasengan into projectiles when adding wind nature transformation to them.
In Sasuke Shinden: Book of Sunrise, a stronger form of Wind Release is introduced called Typhoon Release (颱遁, Taiton, English TV: Typhoon Style). This kekkei genkai is used to summon storms that mow down the surroundings and are strong enough to move entities like Sasuke Uchiha's Susanoo.
Relationship with other Natures
- Wind is strong against lightning because it is a natural electrical insulator but weak against fire because the flames are fueled by air.
- Wind Release can be used in conjunction with Fire Release to augment the strength of the fire technique.
- Additionally, it can be used with Water Release to increase the latter's concussive and overall destructive power.
- Wind chakra is a component of the following kekkei genkai: Ice Release, Scorch Release and Magnet Release.
- After the Fourth Shinobi World War, Temari was recognised as the best Wind Release user in Suna, and possibly the world.
- List of Wind Release techniques (Boruto)
- List of Wind Release users (Boruto)
- Naruto chapter 317, page 18
- Naruto chapter 479, page 8
- Naruto chapter 336, page 12
- Naruto chapter 337, page 16
- Konoha Hiden: The Perfect Day for a Wedding, chapter 3